Monday, May 20, 2013

Recipe: 鸡蛋糕, Steamed Pandan Sponge Cake


I have had many failures steaming sponge cake in my college years...back then I can only afford to beat the eggs using hand whisk...and I guess I wasn't that serious in baking too.

I do prefer oven baking cakes than steamed cakes over the years. 

My heart was beating fast when I was about to open up the lid...

...tadda... I am happy with what I am seeing : )

though there were a few drops of water (formed from condensation) dripped on the cake, overall it is a success!!!








Ingredients: updated Dec 17
1) 250g eggs (2 extra large eggs + 3 large eggs)
2) 170g caster sugar

3) 165g self raising flour or (155g all purpose flour + 2 tsp baking powder)
4) 25g corn starch

5) 3 tbsp pure pandan juice (or orange/lemon juice) or (2 tsp vanilla extract+35g water)

6) 3 tbsp vegetable oil
*mix 5 and 6 and set aside

Tips: 
  1. You may replace ingredients 4,5,6 with 6 tbsp of cream soda/7 up/Sprite (vanilla/orange/lemon flavoured carbonated soft drink)
  2. add 2 tsp of vanilla extract (if you do not like the eggy smell)
  • Beat eggs and sugar till bright yellow at medium speed (about 5 minutes).
  • Turn the speed to max and beat till pale white (about 5 minutes). Do the ribbon test (visible lines appeared as shown).
  • Turn the speed to medium and continue to beat for 1 minute. This is to achieve smooth and light whisked eggs.
  • Add in the sifted flour, alternate with pandan mixture in 3 batches. Hand whisk till incorporated.
  • Pour the batter into lined 8" round bamboo/woven or rice cooker steaming basket. Leave aside to rest for 10 minutes.
  • While waiting, bring the water to boil. Wrap the lid with cloth if needed to prevent condensation during the steaming process. (stubborn me, skipped the wrapping)
  • Steam at medium-high heat for 20-25 minutes.
  • Open the lid slowly with the heat still on. Off it and remove the pan...enjoy!

2 comments:

colinphua said...

Hi, I have 2 questions.

Firstly, your instructions did not mentioned when to add the vegetable oil although it is in the ingredient list.

Secondly, you state that ingredients "4,5,6" can be replaced with 6 tbsp of cream soda... ...
Do you mean ingredients "4), 5), and 6)" or just ingredients "4) and 5)"?

KenWee said...

Hi, I hope it is not too late.

Mix 5 (pandan juice) and 6 (vegetable oil) and set aside.

Replace 4,5,6 : )

Thanks for reading.

Custom Search