This is the best kaya recipe EVER! Simple, easy, no blending and only requires 15 minutes in total. And most importantly, we LOVE it...yummo...
A Dry Caramel - Melt 20g of sugar at medium heat till golden brown.
B Beat 4 egg yolks, set aside (egg whites will make kaya lumpy ya!)
C Into a pot, add in
- 90g sugar
- 100g coconut cream
- 100g coconut milk
- 2-3 pandan leaves (screwpine) cut into 5cm length
- dry caramel, A (curd formed will dissolve slowly, no worries)
- Medium heat, stir constantly till simmer. Off heat (around 4 minutes)
- Pour half of the mixture into beaten egg yolks B, stir to combine
- Pour the combined mixture back to pot C
- Medium heat, stir constantly till thiken (around 3 minutes)
- Low heat, continue to stir. Off heat when mixture is able to coat thickly on pot sides (around 3 minutes)
- Discard pandan leaves before storage.
- Refigerate room temperature kaya.
- Consume within a week.