|steam: 22 minutes, ferment: 2 hours (White sugar flavour)|
|steam: 22 minutes, ferment: 2.5 hours (Pandan flavour)|
Chinese Steamed White Cake
- (A) 115 g rice flour + 20 g wheat starch + 150 ml water
- (B) 2 pandan leaves (knotted) + 1/4 tsp salt (or less) + 95 g sugar + 150 ml water
- (C) 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- (D) 1/2 tsp oil + (dilute a pinch of baking soda with 1/2 tbsp water)
*Replace sugar with brown sugar for Brown Pak Tong Ko
*Add 10 ml pure pandan juice for Pandan/Green Pak Tong Ko (adjust water accordingly)
- Mix (A).
- Boil (B) and simmer with low heat until fragrant (about 2 minutes). Remove pandan leaves. Pour to (A),stir well.
- Add (C) into the lukewarm (not hot) mixture, stir well. Keep it cover and set aside to ferment until tiny air bubbles appeared on the surface of the mixture (about 2 hours or more).
- Bring water to boil in a wok/steamer together with a 4" x 8” greased baking pan.
- Add in (D) to the mixture, stir well and pour into the pan. Steam at medium-high heat for 20-23 minutes (when skewer comes out clean).
- Cut the perfect slice of cake when it is cooled. Enjoy!
- Yeast die instantly at 60 Celsius. Safe at 48 Celsius. Optimal between 30-37 Celsius.
- Lukewarm = slightly warmer than body temperature, between 36-42 Celsius...not burning with finger test.
- Low fermentation temperatures can have slight effect on the taste and smell. I personally prefer higher temperatures, with least alcohol flavour.
|(A) + (B) mixture|
|(A) + (B) + (C)|
|Yeast dissolved completely|
|Cover and ferment for 2 hours or more|
|Tiny air bubbles appeared on the surface|
|4" x 8" greased baking pan, preheated in the steamer|