I have been missing the childhood rice pudding that used to be sold by an old lady near my late grandpa's place. Perhaps it is the taste, .... perhaps it is the memory that I am searching for...
Grandpa used to bring us to 'triangle street' to eat roti canai (and now... I can't hold back my tears)... he would bring an egg and can't wait to ask the 'a ne' to add it on and making it to roti telur. That's grandpa! Grandpa...I miss you...I have been missing you!!! ...tears rolling down...
The recipe is good but not perfect....it doesn't has 'that' taste... I won't give up grandpa....I'll keep searching...searching for our memories!
- A: 150g rice flour, 20g tapioca flour, 25g wheat starch, 230ml water
- B: 625ml hot water, 1 tbsp oil
- C: 1 tbsp oil, 75g preserved sweet turnip, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 2 tsp sweet soy sauce, 1/2 tsp salt
- D: 100g palm sugar, 1 tbsp water, 1/2 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- Mix A and stir well. Set aside for 2 hours.
- Pour in hot water in B and stir well. Add in oil and stir until well combined.
- Pour the batter into small cups. Steam for 25 mins, set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in wok, stir fry garlic until fragrant. Add in preserved turnip and continue frying until fragrant. Add in seasoning and stew under low heat for 5 mins. Set aside.
- For sauce, heat up D until palm sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Remove rice pudding from cup. Top up with some preserved turnip and palm sugar sauce. Serve.